This week in Bellevue, WA, revel in a chilly-good production of The Snow Queen, bring your family to hear stories from an award-winning children’s author, and experience the art of Dr. Seuss up close. See which events made it into the Weekly Round-Up, and get ready to add some winter cheer to your week!
1.) Creation Entertainment’s Official STAR TREK Convention 2014
Don’t miss the Official Star Trek convention with actor appearances from sci-fi celebrities like Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine), Walter Koenig (Pavel Chekov), Jonathan Frakes (Commander Riker), and Michael Dorn (WORF). There will be a Friday night karaoke party and a trivia game too. Whether you’re a casual Star Trek fan or a devoted follower, see your favorites at this exciting convention at Meydenbauer Center. Find full details here.
2.) THE SNOW QUEEN AT BELLEVUE YOUTH THEATRE
This performance is perfectly suited to December weather! Bellevue Youth Theatre hosts The Snow Queen, adapted from work by classic storyteller Hans Christian Andersen. With seven performances to choose from between December 12-21, you’ll be able to find the right time for your family to attend this spellbinding event. Tickets $10 in advance; $12 during the week of the first show; with select $5 ticket performances. Find all details here.
3.) MAGICAL STRINGS: A CELTIC YULETIDE
Fill your senses with Celtic magic this season. This is an evening of festive music and performance filled with Celtic instruments, dancers, stories, and delight in the Theatre at Meydenbauer Center. Magical Strings is a family ensemble that has been performing annually for 33 years. Be dazzled by the talented Raney Irish Dancers, Irish fiddler Dale Russ, and of course songs that evoke Celtic holiday spirit. Performance at 7 p.m. Arrive early and join Meydenbauer Center and Storefronts for a special reception in the Theatre lobby on Level 2 from 5:30-7 p.m. View the work of Seattle artist Paul E McKee and Vancouver, WA, and artist K. C. Madsen, and meet the artists and those responsible for launching Storefronts and bringing this public art program to Bellevue. Tickets $20/adults; $12/children and students. See additional details.
4.) APPEARANCE BY AWARD WINNING CHILDREN’S AUTHOR PATRICK JENNINGS
Keep young readers on track with a special event featuring award-winning children’s author Patrick Jennings! Patrick is a Port Townsend resident who’s known for the children’s book series Guinea Dog, which is about an unusual pet. Don’t be surprised if you hear giggles while Patrick reads from his stories. Take part in this free author appearance at 1 p.m. held at the downtown Barnes & Noble. Find directions or check out Patrick’s books here.
5.) FREE SKATING LESSON AT MAGIC SEASON ICE ARENA
December 11, 16 & 18
By now you’ve likely heard of the seasonal skating arena in downtown Bellevue. Experience it for the first time (or again!) with a free skating lesson that will make you feel more confident on the ice. Join in free lessons from professional skating teachers with your paid admission to the ice arena. From 6:30-8:30 p.m. Admission includes skate rental and costs just $12; $9 for kids 8 and under.
6.) THE ART OF DR. SEUSS EXHIBITION
December 10-January 3
There is something undeniably magical about the fanciful art of Dr. Seuss. Visit The Gunnar Nordstrom Gallery to get a glimpse of Dr. Seuss pieces—it’s an exhibition of the scenes reminiscent of your favorite childhood books. Don’t miss the opportunity to introduce young Dr. Seuss fans tohis imaginative art. The Gunnar Nordstrom Gallery is Washington’s only authorized Dr. Seuss art dealer.Gallery hours are Monday-Saturday 9:30 a.m-8:00 p.m., and Sunday 12-5 p.m. Parking and location details are here.
7.) MAGIC SEASONS REMEMBERED
The Eastside Heritage Center presents a special open house at Bellevue’s historic Winters House. Bellevue’s Winters House is a 1929 home listed on the National Register of Historic Places. From 10 a.m.-2 p.m. visit the Winters House and see how early Bellevue residents might have experienced the season. It’s an excellent opportunity to see a beautifully preserved building that reflects local history. Visit the Eastside Heritage Society for the Winters House location.
OTHER UPCOMING BELLEVUE EVENTS
Click on the events below for more information
- Snowflake Lane at The Bellevue Collection (Recurs nightly at 7pm through Dec. 24)
- Garden d’Lights at Bellevue Botanical Garden (Recurs daily from 4:30pm-9:30pm through Jan. 3)
- Magic Season Ice Arena in Bellevue Downtown Park (Recurs daily through Jan. 11)
- Argosy Cruise Christmas Ship Festival (Recurs daily through Dec. 23)
- Issaquah Reindeer Festival at Cougar Mountain Zoo (Recurs daily through Dec. 23)
- Thursday Night Football at Blue Martini Lounge (Recurs weekly on Thursdays); Ladies Night Out at Blue Martini (Recurs weekly on Fridays); Beat the Geek Trivia Night at Blue Martini (recurs weekly on Mondays); and Noches Azul (recurs weekly on Tuesdays)
- Little Book Worms (Recurs weekly on Wednesdays)
- ESPN Radio Seahawks Weekly at Pearl Bar and Dining (Recurs weekly on Thursdays)
- Bellevue Arts Museum Current Exhibits: BAM Biennial 2014: Knock on Wood (Oct. 31-Mar 29); Jason Walker: One the River, Down the Road (Oct. 3-March 1); Nick Mount: The Fabric of Work—Sculptural Glass from a Master of Australian Craft (Oct. 10-Feb. 1); and Quality Is Contagious: John Economaki and Bridge City Tool Works (Oct. 10-Feb. 1)
- TNT: Thursday Night Tasting at Grand Cru Wine Shop (Recurs weekly on Thursdays)
- Aerial Arts Performances at Suite Restaurant / Lounge (Recurs Weekly on Fridays and Saturdays)