Happy New Year Everyone! 2015 is here and we’ve got some great local events to help you start your new year off right. If you haven’t had a chance to see the Garden d’Lights festival yet, then you only have one more weekend to see the amazing light display. Did you make a resolution to get in better shape? Then you’ll definitely want to check out the free classes at the South Bellevue Community Center! Looking for a good laugh? Check out Twisted Flicks or live comedy! There’s tons to do around Bellevue!
1.) Free Classes at South Bellevue Community Center
Have you been thinking about taking a class at the South Bellevue Community Center (SBCC)? Now you can, free of charge! As part of their 9th Anniversary celebration, SBCC is offering free classes for a week. No pre-registration is necessary, so check out the class schedule and come try out all that the South Bellevue Community Center has to offer. Click here for more information.
2.) Creative Garden Writing Workshop with Steve Lorton
If you’ve ever thought about honing your garden writing skills, then you won’t want to miss this event. You’ll spend a morning walking the Bellevue Botanical Gardens then have a chance to write about what you observed. Steve Lorton, the former Northwest Bureau Chief and Garden Editor for Sunset Magazine, will be on hand to help participants with their writing and offer guidance. Click here for more information and to register.
3.) Garden d’Lights
This is your last chance to catch the spectacle of Bellevue Botanical Garden Society’s Garden d’Lights festival. It’s the 20th Anniversary of one of the Pacific Northwest’s favorite traditions! Come see over half a million lights turn the beautiful gardens into a stunning winter wonderland. Tickets are $5 , with children under 10 admitted for free. The lights run 4:30-9:30pm every night but will end on the 3rd, so don’t miss out! Click here for more information.
4.) Hall Spassov Gallery – Stallman, Four-Handed Exhibit
Hall Spassov is doing an encore showing of the Stallman, Four-Handed exhibition from January 7-31. You won’t want to miss this exhibit! Stephen Stum and Jason Hallman have taken traditional painting and turned it on its head by using shape and shadow to create their “Canvas-On-Edge.” You also have a chance to hear the artists speak about their work on January 7 from 7-8pm. Click here for more information.
5.) Jet City Improv presents Twisted Flicks: Westworld
Scientists concur that laughter really is some of the best medicine, so if you’re feeling sad that holidays are over, come watch a classic B-movie get the Mystery Science Theatre treatment. On Friday, Jet City Improv tackles the Michael Crichton film Westworld at the Kirkland Performance Center. Improvisers will be creating all the dialogue, music and sound effects for this low-budget science fiction western, all based on your suggestions! Click here for more information or to purchase tickets.
6.) Winter Wonders (Storytime)
Lewis Creek Park continues their Explorers’ Club activities with a Winter Wonders Story time for families. Wintertime is full of wonders, so come learn about what trees and animals do in the winter! They always make a fun craft to take home so bring the kids to this fun, educational event. The first session is from 11am-noon and the second session runs from 1:30pm-2:30pm. Call (425) 452-6885 to register for the event or click here for more information.
7.) Live Comedy: Sarah Colonna
January 2 & 3
Start the New Year off with a laugh! Come to the Parlor Live as they present Sarah Colonna on January 2 and 3. A semi-finalist on NBC’s “Last Comic Standing,” Sarah made her presence known on E!’s “Chelsea Lately” and has been featured on “Monk,” “Days of Our Lives” and “Scare Tactics.” You can also catch her in the movies “Back In The Day” and “Buttwhistle,” or listen in to her podcast “Off the Rails with Josh & Sarah.” Check out her book “Life as I Blow It” from Amazon. Click here for more information or to purchase tickets.
OTHER UPCOMING BELLEVUE EVENTS
Click on the events below for more information
- Garden d’Lights at Bellevue Botanical Garden (Recurs daily from 4:30pm-9:30pm through Jan. 3)
- Magic Season Ice Arena in Bellevue Downtown Park (Recurs daily through Jan. 11)
- Thursday Night Football at Blue Martini Lounge (Recurs weekly on Thursdays); Ladies Night Out at Blue Martini (Recurs weekly on Fridays); Beat the Geek Trivia Night at Blue Martini (recurs weekly on Mondays); and Noches Azul (recurs weekly on Tuesdays)
- Little Book Worms (Recurs weekly on Wednesdays)
- ESPN Radio Seahawks Weekly at Pearl Bar and Dining (Recurs weekly on Thursdays)
- Bellevue Arts Museum Current Exhibits: BAM Biennial 2014: Knock on Wood (Oct. 31-Mar 29); Jason Walker: One the River, Down the Road (Oct. 3-March 1); Nick Mount: The Fabric of Work—Sculptural Glass from a Master of Australian Craft (Oct. 10-Feb. 1); and Quality Is Contagious: John Economaki and Bridge City Tool Works (Oct. 10-Feb. 1)
- TNT: Thursday Night Tasting at Grand Cru Wine Shop (Recurs weekly on Thursdays)
- Aerial Arts Performances at Suite Restaurant / Lounge (Recurs Weekly on Fridays and Saturdays)